Monday, November 17, 2014

Germs & Giants

Have I ever mentioned I'm a bit of a germaphobe??  I'm no Howie Mandel.  If we were face to face right now I'd hug your neck off.  No problem.  (That sounded extreme, didn't it?  I'm not that brutal.)  I touch door knobs and shake hands and still leave my house during cold and flu season.  But when life seems overly stressful for this reason or another, and I find myself dealing with more anxiety than usual-my thoughts can assail me about germs/diseases/sicknesses you name it.

Maybe it's because I hate to be sick.  I don't know anyone who enjoys it, but I tend to lead more to the freak out side.  I don't know why I do this.  I pray about it.  I tell God and everyone around me…I don't know why I'm doing this, I'm so sorry.  

So last week, someone in our family got sick.  My first thought that almost sent me to the grave was…is it something serious?  Is this something bad?  Life threatening?  Life altering?  Should there be drastic measures involved?  Don't even let me get on WebMD.  
My second thought was….if it's not something serious-will I get it too?  

Ya'll.  It was days of these thoughts just pounding my mind.  If I quoted 2 Corinthians 10:4-5 once I quoted it a thousand times.
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world.  On the contrary they have divine power to demolish strongholds.  We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

I caught myself saying so many times--God take my thoughts captive, take my thoughts captive.  

Praise God, it was not serious.  How did I know?  I got it a few nights later.  What happened next was nothing short of a miracle.  

Total.  Peace.

I mean it.  Not just "dealing with it".  Not just "I somehow got through".  But total and complete peace that I can guarantee you I had absolutely nothing to do with.  I was up about every hour or 2 in the night.  Yet every single time I woke up, even before my eyes opened, there was a worship song playing in my head.  A different one every time too.  This wasn't something I tried to make happen, it just did.  Around 4am when the weariness started to kick in and I had the slightest thought-not worry or panic-of when is this going to end I instantly, and I mean instantly, heard only this..
The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save.  He will take great delight in you, He will rejoice over you with singing, He will quiet you with His love.  
(Zephaniah 3:17)

The next morning I woke up and for the first time possibly all week, didn't have to instantly pray for God to take my thoughts captive.  Instead I laid there and marveled at His goodness, His faithfulness that He had literally poured out upon me all night long.  It was more tangible than I could describe in words here.  

The giant met the Glory-and the Glory won ya'll.  He always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment