Monday, February 10, 2014

The Invitation



I've been thinking about my thoughts a lot lately. Scripture has always made God's demands on my thoughts clear---
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take every thought captive to make it obedient to Christ. -2 Corinthians 10:5

Being that this is something that I have personally struggled with for a good part of my life, I know this scripture pretty well. I pray it. I've memorized it. Quoted it. Loved it. Believed it. Claimed it. And also, asked God how? How do I take every thought captive? The desire is there and so strong-I want to take every thought captive. First because that is what God has commanded of me, but second because I've been the victim of my thoughts for too long. They have such power in them that they can control the way my day is going to go before I set my feet on the floor out of bed. Lately this is what I feel Him leading me to---begin the day by giving Him my mind, asking Him to control it and to control every single thought that goes through it, for me I'm visual, so I often try to close my eyes and envision myself handing over my brain to Him. (I couldn't make this up if I tried. Crazy as it may sound.) I know that this could determine my victory or defeat for the day ahead of me. After that anytime I have a thought that doesn't line up with the Word of God, any fear, doubt, insecurity, that may creep up into my mind I immediately try to again "visually" hand them over to Him and ask Him to take it from me and use it to His glory. Make Satan sorry he messed with me with it. And after that? I think He's calling me to stop. And come.

Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. -Matthew 11:29

Stop resolving to try harder. Invites me to surrender more.

Stop pushing through the hard stuff and the pain. Invites me to take upon His yoke.

Stop trying to "get it all together". Invites me to come just as I am.

Stop comparing myself to other women who seem to really have it down. Invites me to see myself as He sees me.

Stop worrying for the future. Invites me to live in the grace He has provided for this very moment, knowing that grace will be there for that future moment as well.

Stop beating myself up for not having a perfectly clean house everyday and staying on top of my laundry schedule every week. Invites me to rest in Him instead of my to-do lists, schedules, and performance.

Linking up with: Darlene, Kathy

2 comments:

  1. Thoughts are powerful. Simply coming to God, resting in Him and allowing Him to shape us is a beautiful place to be.

    ReplyDelete